Monday 25 April 2016

Lumra Rugs Traditional Irish Rug making


There appears to very little information about this wonderful way of making rugs.   I have met many people who could explain how they were made and some even had made them.  It is done with a large hook with a eye of a needle at the opposite end and so the  work is 'locked ' in with wool yarn. 
There is a strong tradition here in the North West of Ireland in the making of these rugs but it dyeing  out fast.  As far as I can gather the word Lumra is the Irish for fleece.   To make a rug for the floor would be a big job and it would use a lot of wool.  This is a small square that I have made, my second attempt.  My first was made with different coloured natural fleece which is very affective

4 comments:

  1. Interesting, and where did you hear about it? Have you a photo of the needle I wonder? where would one get such a needle? I have not heard of this method around here (Limerick).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.threshingbarn.com/craft-supplies/tools-and-craft-equipment/locker-hooking-needle/
      This is link to a shop that sells the needles and that is the needle you need. You may be able to get one at a local craft supply shop, but it took me ages to get one and then I found these on line from a shop that I buy from regularly

      Delete
  2. Linea was made all over Irish countryside up to recently. Traditionally the wool was collected from fences and ditches and made into sacking with a large hook. I have a beautiful rug with mythical figures in contrasting dark Jacob sheep wool. The lady who made it was very prolific lines rug maker. Sadly no longer with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. they are reminding me of rag rugs which are made out of old clothes

    ReplyDelete